Monday, June 16, 2014

50 for 50: Mike Oligmueller





Mike Oligmueller
Director of College Counseling, The Potomac School (VA)
How long have you been in your current position at Potomac School?
Three years
How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?
I was a speech therapy major in college, but early in my senior year, I realized that I did not want to be a speech therapist. I then wandered into the career placement office (which was what it was called in 1983), and a counselor suggested that I try college admissions; it was a career that required a bachelor's degree but not in a specific major. After applying for about 100 positions (not all in admissions), I got a job at Wabash College as an admission counselor.
What's your favorite counseling memory?
Having a student tell me on her high school graduation day that I was like the dad she wished her father had been able to be.
What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
Run like the wind! Show up and listen more than you talk. 
If not working in college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing?
Retirement.
What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
I paid for my first year of college with the money I made from raising and then selling a herd of pigs.
What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?
The increasing difficulty of many families to afford college. I believe that higher education is a path to changing lives, and it seems that a larger percentage of students in this country, as a result of not being able to attend or finish college, will not be able to live the lives they may want to live.

*** To Celebrate Potomac Chesapeake's 50th Conference Anniversary, we're highlighting some of our current members. Each week until the conference at The Homestead in Spring 2015, a new member will be posted. Interested in participating? Email Aundra Weissert at aweissert2@washcoll.edu to get started.***

No comments:

Post a Comment