Friday, February 6, 2015

50 for 50: Dal Holmes


Dal Holmes
Retired
Formerly Washington College


How long were you in your most recent admissions position at WAC? How long have you been in admissions/college counseling?

Before retiring in 2001, I worked as Associate Director of Admissions under Kevin Coveney’s direction at Washington College for eighteen    years.  In all, I served five institutions for a total of thirty-six years in the profession, all at the college/university level.

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?

For me it started with projects as a volunteer alumni representative in the Washington, DC area, on behalf of my alma mater, Haverford College. My early mentors were Dean Archibald MacIntosh, a key member of   the small group which was instrumental in the early years of Educational Testing Service; his Associate at Haverford, Bill Ambler; and George Washington U. Admissions Director Joe Ruth, who provided my first full-time employment in the field.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?

We all enjoy talking about others we have mentored, who in turn established their own careers in college admissions, and I could   name several. However, there are at least three other memorable experiences I could share.

There was my 1965 road-running rookie first school visit (for GWU) at newly opened Sandia H.S. on the east side of Albuquerque, NM.The first question asked by their new guidance staff was about GW’s marching band, about which I also knew next to nothing. I did the best I could until I realized that I had not taken another breath for    close to a minute.  That moment erased forever any fear that I might have had about speaking to a group of either colleagues or strangers.

I also remember vividly an NACAC annual conference in Chicago during the civil rights struggles of the 1960‘s.  Local guidance counselor Silas Purnell and others forced issues of access to higher education for under-represented student populations into the forefront of NACAC’s agenda and collective thinking.  It was a disruptive, tumultuous and ultimately productive few days, with demonstrations by many groups directed toward other sources of political influence throughout the Windy City.

But my favorite experience was working in 1990 to enroll Washington College’s first student from Romania, a gifted young man who became active in campus life, went on to graduate study in Geneva, employment in London, and who has since traveled throughout much of five continents.  More important, he has become like an additional member of my family -- a nephew or cousin, if you will.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership in PCACAC and/or NACAC?

Build professional relationships and friendships with colleagues on both sides of the admissions desk, who work with students on the school-to-college transition. Include those focused on transfer students, international candidates and financial assistance. Don’t avoid opportunities to involve yourself in special projects or to serve on professional committees whenever they present themselves, even when dealing with a first-timers travel schedule and the long winter nights reading applications. Learning what’s happening on a macro level is an important part of career-building.

Bill Ambler’s invaluable advice to me along the way included this. Every few years step back, take some time to yourself and evaluate whether you are pleased with the balance between your employment obligations on the one hand, and your responsibility to keep students’best interests at the center of what you are doing.

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing?

Working as a sports broadcaster has always been near the top of my list.  Ice hockey, basketball and professional futbol (soccer for those who still don’t know) are my favorites.  As a young college grad I worked for two years as General Editor in the NCAA’s New York publications office, followed the New York Rangers, attended many events at the old Madison Square Garden, and watched international futbol at the Polo Grounds after the baseball Giants moved to California.  I love listening to the Brits who broadcast the English Premier League matches.

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?

Music has always been important in my life: at seventy-eight I am still singing second tenor in two choruses. Rock and opera are not my thing, but most other genres including classical orchestral, jazz and sacred music are among my interests. And I still think from time to time that I would like to learn to play classical pipe organ, as one of my cousins did.

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?

In our fast-paced environment it can be very easy to lose sight of the C-word in our organization’s name: i.e., individual counseling. My hope is that, when it comes to forming a professional staff on the Admissions side of the desk, organizational leaders will continue to make every effort to achieve a proper balance. We must always place the best interests of students at the center of what we do (the     counseling function), while employing the best models for putting forward our institutions’ missions (marketing). And we must guard against allowing the mass communication (technology of the information age) to break down the personal dimension of our interactions with the individual students we hope to serve. We must provide continuing cross-training in each of these -- counseling, marketing and information technology.

*** To Celebrate Potomac Chesapeake's 50th Conference Anniversary, we're highlighting some of our current members. Each week until the conference at The Homestead in Spring 2015, a new member will be posted. Interested in participating? Email Aundra Weissert at aweissert2@washcoll.edu to get started.***

No comments:

Post a Comment