Monday, March 30, 2015

50 for 50: Kellyn Fleming



Kellyn Fleming
Senior Assistant Director of Admissions
Randolph-Macon College (VA)

How long have you been in admissions/college counseling?
I have been in Admissions for 5 years at R-MC.
How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?
Unlike many people in this profession, I never worked in admissions as a student but it was always a position I was aware of and became interested in as a student. When I graduated I knew I wanted to be in education in some capacity, but not necessarily teaching. Working in Admissions allows me the chance to still get to work with students but not in a classroom setting. It seemed to be the perfect fit!
What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?
In such a fun and rewarding profession it is hard to pick just one. From getting to help students make one of their first big decisions, to then getting to see those same students graduating from your institution four years later bring more prepared for life than ever, is one of my favorite memories that I get to relive year after year and makes me so proud!
Aside from that, a lot of my fondest memories revolve around the travel opportunities I have been able to take advantage of. One in particular was my first NACAC conference in Denver, CO. I had never been to Colorado before, so that in itself was awesome, but also getting to experience the “big picture” of what we do and having my tiny little bubble of admissions popped has forever enriched me! It is so awesome to be part of this “small world” of admissions and experience it on so many levels.
What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue membership in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
 Definitely get involved! After going to my first PCACAC conference, I quickly wanted to get involved and am into my second year on a committee for PCACAC and it was one of the best decisions! Through involvement you not only get to build fantastic relationships with colleagues within your profession but they also get to know you and that helps to grow your connections and the possibilities within college admissions counseling. I have met so many wonderful and positive people since getting involved, and I hope to get even more involved in the future.
If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing?
A baker/wedding planner for sure!
What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
I was Miss Majorette of Virginia back in the 90’s.
What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?
Something that concerns me is the financial aid opportunities and the growing amount of student debt. It’s important as admissions counselors to educate our families the best we can what their options are and how we can help them but, in particular, working for an institution that provides a liberal arts education, we try to find that balance between cost and the value of a liberal arts education. It’s not something that will be going away any time soon but hopefully by helping our families see the big picture we can help them out as best we can.

*** To Celebrate Potomac Chesapeake's 50th Conference Anniversary, we're highlighting some of our current members. Each week until the conference at The Homestead in Spring 2015, a new member will be posted. Interested in participating? Email Aundra Weissert at aweissert2@washcoll.edu to get started.***

1 comment:

  1. Hello my friend! I would like to tell you that this write-up is awesome, great written and include almost all important info. I recently came to know about http://dignosco.org/, their College Admissions Counseling are very effective.
    College Admissions Counseling

    ReplyDelete