Monday, February 8, 2016

Profile: Samuel Shoge



Samuel T. Shoge
Assistant Director of Admissions
Washington College (MD)
Chair, Government Relations Committee - PCACAC


How long have you been in admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!
4.5 years at Washington College. 


How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?
I happened to apply to a vacant admissions counselor position at Washington College a couple months after graduating from college. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and there just so happened to be an opening at Washington College where I lived 5 minutes away from. I kind of got caught up in how fast things moved because 3 days after applying, I had an interview and an offer. It was hard to say no to my first job offer right out of college. My first day on the job was attending Summer Institute at Bucknell.


What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?
My favorite admissions stories revolve around working hard to recruit students you know would be excellent fits at your institution. Nothing beats seeing that student deposit after a long journey of meeting them at their high school, seeing them on campus for tours, and counseling their parents through the FAFSA process. 

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
For those looking to get more involved with PCACAC and NACAC, the best thing to do is dive right on in. I see to many people express the desire to get involved but hesitate because they overthink the time commitment and their schedule. Look, everyone is busy in this profession but if you really want to make connections in this profession, get your name out there as a mover and shaker, and make some great friends, you just simply have to get involved. Yes, it is A LOT of work and requires true organization skills but it's a time commitment that pays dividends in this professions and one can honestly look at it as an investment. 


If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing? 
I eventually see myself doing something that revolves around city planning/public policy/public administration. 


What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
One thing a lot of people don't know is that I am training to be a volunteer firefighter.

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?

Affordability is the name of the game right now in terms of trends and issues I am following closely. I like how it is a hot-button issue in national politics and being addressed by state legislators. As someone who graduated with student loan debt, I am a first hand example of how so many things in life have to be delayed because of student loan payments. A political figure cannot reasonably talk about fixing the US economy without addressing the student loan issue. An entire generation delaying or canceling major purchases because of student loan obligations is no way to get the economy back on track, especially when that economy depends on modest population growth and people buying cars, homes, and just stuff in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment