Tuesday, January 31, 2017

We are excited to highlight PCACAC members who are newer to our profession or our organization...

Meet Sarah Baskaron who works for The University of Alabama in the DC, MD and DE territory as a Regional Recruiter.
 
What led you into admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!

Like most, I did not set out to have a career in Admissions. I graduated from Montreat College in 2013 with a degree in Psychology and a vague idea that I wanted to help people. I was out of school for a year when a position in the Admissions office opened up at my Alma Mater. I have always enjoyed working with people and it was a wonderful way to do that. I fell in love with helping students and their families understand a process that can be confusing and daunting. There is no way to describe how it feels to work a student through every step of the admissions process and having them come back after a semester at school, happy and successful. I was with them for two years before I began working for The University of Alabama. I have been with them about six months as a Regional Recruiter and I couldn’t enjoy it more.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory or travel story?

My favorite travel memory was when a mother came up to my table at a National College Fair, put her elbow down on my stack of material and looked me dead in my eyes, as if to ask me the most important question that had ever been asked of an Admissions Rep. in the history of the world. She leaned in and said “Do you do boys?” My brain went into hyper drive trying to decipher what she could possibly mean by such a forward question. After a beat or two I said “Do you mean, are we a Co-Ed University?” “Yes” she said, much to my relief. I told her that we did accept both males and females into our programs and that her son would be very welcome on our campus. “Good”, she said, “That girl down there, she only does girls!” as she pointed to an all woman’s college down the row from me. She took an information card and walked down the row to ask her question to every other booth at the fair.

What do you love most about your job?

 Students! I love helping them work out what their dreams and goals for their lives might be, and how The University of Alabama can help them get there.


What's one thing that most people don't know about you?

I love to white water kayak! If I could be on the water all day I would. I am always looking for places to go and it is my dream to own all my own equipment so I can take adventures on a more regular basis.





No comments:

Post a Comment