Wednesday, April 19, 2017

PCACAC Member Spotlight on Luis Portillo!

Luis Portillo currently works at Radford University as the Regional Senior Assistant Director of Admissions.
 
What led you into admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!
 I was working a good “corporate” job that was ok but it wasn’t for me, I would go home daily and be miserable. I was always job searching and fell upon a listing for an admissions position, and the fact that it was with my alma matter was a big bonus, did some homework on what and admissions counselor does and sent a few emails; one in particular to Radford’s Director of Alumni Relations whom I had met my freshman year and kept in touch throughout my collegiate career and she thought I would be great for the job and I applied with her as a reference and the rest was history.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory or travel story?
 My favorite travel story was a large group of counselors went out for lunch after the 2nd day of Montgomery County NACAC and just the connections I made and realized that the people on the road with you can be your saving grace and only thing to keep you sane because they are the only people that know exactly what you are going through while you’re out there for weeks at a time. My “aha” or light bulb moment you could say!

What do you love most about your job?
I love the people I meet, whether it be students, parents, or professional colleagues. Building relationships is my favorite part of my job.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort bubble, put in proposals to present at conferences, and grow your network.  

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing? 
 I would have probably gone back to get a teaching license. I was always told by people closest to me that I should be a teacher. My school teachers all the way through high school always suggested it. They even told my mother that when she would come in for parent/teacher conferences or “back to school” nights.

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
 I love to just sit in tranquil places/scenic views with headphones listening to music. As social as I may seem, my alone time is important to me.

How do you balance work/life?
I make sure I always make time for family and friends, not when possible but always. They are they few people that keep me grounded and remind me where I came from, where I am and where I want to go. That and music is my escape. Most of my day there is music playing in the background.

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?
 I would say the most current trend that really has me doing “homework” daily would be the increasing number of first generation students that are going to college and how they come from so many different backgrounds and each have specific needs.

What advice would you give to someone considering entering the admissions/college counseling profession?
There will be a lot of things that you encounter that might make you so angry, tired, leave you with a feeling of complete defeat. Know that you cannot save them all, but understand at the end of the day you will make a difference in a student’s life and that is something to admire and be proud of in this career field.

No comments:

Post a Comment