Friday, December 15, 2017

Member Spotlight on Dawn Marie Walker!

Dawn Marie Walker works at Michigan State University as the Manager of Pennsylvania Recruitment & Regional Recruiter.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory or travel story?
Although I do not have one favorite story, I met my very best friends through recruiting and travel.  Fall season is hectic as I am traveling and reading apps, but getting to see many of my favorite faces on the road helps a lot!  And, as a regional recruiter, I don’t get to see my office mates at MSU very often.  Having friends in my home office area in PA who can relate to my job and responsibilities and also brainstorm recruiting ideas is a life saver.

What do you love most about your job?
 There are many things I love about this job, the travel aspect, the seasonal changes in responsibilities, but I most love working with bright young people.  I get to be a mentor and counselor to some great young minds, trying to decide what path to take toward their futures.  I’m so excited to be a part of this process, and I’m optimistic about the future because of these fantastic students.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
Both NACAC and PACAC have been great conduits to many recruiting and networking opportunities.  But it’s not all work.  There are many opportunities for fun throughout the year.  I have met many of my best friends at fairs, conferences, or other events.

How do you balance work/life?
As a married mother of two, this is always a challenge. The great thing about this field is that although the fall travel season almost completely removes me from my family, I have quite a bit of flexibility throughout the rest of the year.  I make it clear to all friends and extended family that I will not be available for ANYTHING from September through Thanksgiving.  That way, when I am home on the weekends during those times, I devote all of my time to my kids and husband.  And, when there is an important family event throughout the rest of the year, I put it on my calendar in ink, and schedule appointments around it.  Also, I try to turn off my phone when enjoying quality family time. 

What advice would you give to someone considering entering the admissions/college counseling profession?
It is a very rewarding field for anyone who has the ability to develop a rapport with young adults, and get them excited about their futures.  When you are having a bad day, or may not be enthusiastic about what you do, you have to put a smile on your face and be willing to get excited about the possibilities that lay ahead of each and every student.  You may be the only person encouraging them to go after their dreams.



No comments:

Post a Comment