Thursday, January 22, 2015

50 for 50: Elizabeth Dugas


Elizabeth Dugas
Regional Recruiter for Virginia
Office of Undergraduate Admissions

The University of Alabama


How long have you been in your current position at University of Alabama? How long have you been in admissions/college counseling?

I'm currently about a month away from 9 years, both at The University of Alabama and in college admissions.

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?

 I got started in college admissions by volunteering to cover college fairs for my law school alma mater (my collegiate alma mater had a regional recruiter where I lived, so I wasn't needed). I liked that so much, I decided to make a career out of it.

What’s your favorite admissions/counseling memory?

My favorite memory is calling to tell a particularly enthusiastic and determined student that she was admitted. She screamed at lot and cried a little. Afterward, I got a lovely voicemail from her college counselor telling me that, over her 30 years in this business that was one of her best moments as a college counselor. I still have the voicemail saved. 

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (and/or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?

Express your interest on the conference evaluation form! You may not be asked to serve on every committee that you express interest in, but chances are at least one will reach out to you.

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing?

I would probably be a Disney vacation planner, which I do informally for my own family and friends all the time anyway!

What’s one thing that most people don't know about you? 

I have a completely unnatural fear of broken glass.

What's a current trend or future issue you’re passionate about right now? And why?

I'm passionate about the lack of higher educational opportunities for low income students, as influenced by the correlation between SAT scores and income and the use of merit-based scholarships that often go to the affluent. I would love to see the rankings publishers like U.S. News remove average test scores from their rankings altogether!


 *** To Celebrate Potomac Chesapeake's 50th Conference Anniversary, we're highlighting some of our current members. Each week until the conference at The Homestead in Spring 2015, a new member will be posted. Interested in participating? Email Aundra Weissert at aweissert2@washcoll.edu to get started.***

No comments:

Post a Comment