Wednesday, January 14, 2015

50 for 50: Jennifer L. Evans


Jennifer L. Evans
School Counselor, Department Chair
Broadneck High School (MD)

How long have you been in your current position at Broadneck HS? How long have you been in admissions/college counseling?

I have been at Broadneck High School for 13 years. Prior to that, I worked in Admissions at Goucher College for six years.

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?

I started in this profession fresh out of college. I majored in Elementary Education and in my senior year of college realized that while I wanted to work in education I wasn't so sure anymore about elementary school. During my senior year of college (at Goucher) I worked with the campus Alumni Office leading the campaign for the senior class gift. Shortly after I graduated, someone in the Alumni Office called and told me about an opening in Admissions and encouraged me to apply. I found that I truly enjoyed my work in admissions and particularly enjoyed my visits to high schools which prompted me to go back to school for a Master's Degree in Counseling and then to move to the high school side.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?

It is difficult to pick just one favorite memory. My time in this profession has been amazing in so many ways. I would have to say one of my favorite moments each year though is during graduation. I am fortunate to be on the stage as students accept their diplomas and each year there are students who turn to me as they are getting their diplomas and just mouth "thank you." It really means a lot to me and makes me feel like the work I do is important.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?

If someone is interested in getting involved in PCACAC or NACAC the best thing to do is jump right in. I started by attending conferences and then volunteering for committees. The more you volunteer, the more opportunities will come your way!

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?

I am an avid equestrian and I own a retired racehorse.

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?

I am deeply concerned about the rising cost of college tuition. I am concerned that the middle class is most impacted by these increases because they cannot afford the astronomical fees but earn too much to qualify for most need based programs.


*** To Celebrate Potomac Chesapeake's 50th Conference Anniversary, we're highlighting some of our current members. Each week until the conference at The Homestead in Spring 2015, a new member will be posted. Interested in participating? Email Aundra Weissert at aweissert2@washcoll.edu to get started.***

No comments:

Post a Comment