Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Profile: Eli Clarke


Eli Clarke, MSW
Director of College Counseling
Gonzaga College High School (DC)

How long have you been in admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!
I have been in admissions and college counseling for 24 in total (8 years admissions, 16 years at my current school).

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?
I got started at my Alma Mater Loyola University New Orleans...I had no clue what being an admissions counselor really was so when I was told I would be traveling for the school, I was really surprised and was proud to represent Loyola to people all over the US.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?
The memory that pops up automatically for me was when I was in admissions working with a young woman and her mother on financial aid matters and after a long process, it all came together. I remember talking to both of them in my office detailing the package and when all was said and done (and many questions and clarifications), the mom asked me "is it ok if I give you a hug?" 

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
Advice - if you start getting involved on any level, it can be such a rewarding experience on so many levels. Just volunteering at check-in or scanning people into sessions can open the door to many other opportunities so always be open to helping out whenever you can. 

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing?
I don't know what I would be doing...that's a scary thought as I have been doing this a long time. I did have a dream of being a game show host early on in my life. 

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
I can still be such a kid at times - there are times I will come home after a long day at Gonzaga and play video games on my Xbox (yes its weird but I find killing zombies or pirates very relaxing)

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?

I think we as a profession need to deeply explore the affordability and financing college education issue...it become a bigger component every year and we all have families now across the board who not only can't afford but make blanket decisions about even looking at schools they think they cannot afford. I get concerned that this line of thinking prohibits the notion of best fit for students and families and rightly so in many instances. We have to explore any and all areas where we can make college affordable for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment