Monday, July 21, 2014

50 for 50: Greg Moon


Greg Moon
Admissions Counselor, Longwood University (VA)

How long have you been in your current position at Longwood? How long have you been in college counseling?


I have been working as an Admissions Counselor at Longwood University for two years. 


How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?


I was coming out of an internship in the fast-paced city of Chicago. Working in that city environment made me a very ambitious and poised college graduate. It made sense for me to have a job where I could both network and travel.

I grew up in the town of Farmville, VA where Longwood University is located. I always loved the community of people in the town of Farmville and I simply had to apply for the job because I knew it would be an enjoyable entry-level learning experience. Meeting new people and growing as a young professional were two things I really wanted.

Since having the job, I learned that not only do I have the ability to grow as a marketing professional, but I can also give back by guiding both students and parents through the college admissions process.


What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?


There are so many fun memories I have made with colleagues at college fairs and high school counselors during my visits, but what I’ve really enjoyed most is having a current student at Longwood come to my office to let me know how much they are enjoying their college experience. You never want to steer a student in the wrong direction and it really helps to sometimes have a reminder that the extra effort you give to a student can make a huge impact.


What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership in PCACAC and/or NACAC?


Take advantage of the conferences offered annually through the PCACAC and NACAC organizations. These conferences are the one place where you can be exposed to the different committees and leadership opportunities available. If new to the profession, make sure to leave an impression with every professional you meet during those conferences. You never know what leadership or committee position could become available.


If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing? 


On the way back from a NACAC College Fair in April I stopped at a local venue and auditioned for a chance to become the next Bachelor on the ABC TV show. I really felt in my place while I was there, so if not in college admissions, I could definitely see myself as the next “Bachelor”!


What's one thing that most people don't know about you?


I’m a really good “Van-Dancer!” On the way back from a college baseball road trip, a group of teammates and I made a Van-Dance YouTube video to  Ke$ha’s “Tik-Tok” single that received over a half a million views.


What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?


The use of Social Media in college admissions is one of the more intriguing trends I’ve found throughout my time at Longwood. I use it very often as an Admissions Counselor to interact and connect with students. More students wish to be constantly in contact with their friends and up to date on trends and news. Social Media gives them the ability to do so. I have also found that Social Media is an effective method to not only bring a college campus to the student, but also to create more excitement on visitation days.

I would hope that more prospective students understand that when they make their Social Media profiles public, Admissions Officers have the ability to monitor their activity. In the future, more students should use their public profiles as a way to brand themselves as a job-ready professional.

*** To Celebrate Potomac Chesapeake's 50th Conference Anniversary, we're highlighting some of our current members. Each week until the conference at The Homestead in Spring 2015, a new member will be posted. Interested in participating? Email Aundra Weissert at aweissert2@washcoll.edu to get started.***

1 comment:

  1. College admissions counseling assessment aligns individual students interests and aptitudes to their best choices for college, major, and career.

    ReplyDelete