Sunday, August 23, 2015

Profile: Katie McEnroe



Katie McEnroe
Associate Director of College Counseling
Holton-Arms School (Bethesda, MD)

How long have you been in admissions/college counseling?
I'm going into my 5th year in Admissions/College Counseling. I had the privilege to start my career in the Washington College Admissions Office in Chestertown, MD. I worked for Washington College for 4 years in different capacities.  First, I was an administrative assistant in the Admissions Office and an assistant field hockey coach. I learned a great deal about what it takes to process inquires, visits and applications. I also got to learn a lot about the role athletics plays in enrollment and admissions. This was invaluable information when I moved into my full-time role as an Admission Counselor. During my years as an Admission Counselor, I was supported by my office to explore the world of Higher Education through the NACAC and PCACAC organizations, and I became extremely interested in college access. When the very unique Baltimore Regional Representative position opened up at Washington College, I knew it was the perfect position for me. As a Regional, I would be able to interact with students even more while still working towards my enrollment goals. After my year working in Baltimore City and County, I realized what I loved most about my job was counseling students. So, in July I took a role as the Associate Director of College Counseling at the Holton-Arms School in Bethesda, MD.

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?
Even though I loved my Biology major, I didn't fall in love with any of the internships that I did through my time in college. I instead, fell in love with a job a got as a Senior Admissions Fellow at Bates College in Lewiston ME. In this role, my supervisor exposed me to the behind the scenes parts of admissions, such as application review and enrollment practices. I also loved learning about the business of higher education. 

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?
I have a tons of moments working with fantastic, passionate, and intelligent colleagues who challenge me to think bigger and better. But honestly, my favorite moments are with my students and the young professionals that I'm mentoring.  These memories generally fall into two categories:

  1.  The moment when the students trust that I have their best interest in mind
  2.  The moment when I help them understand how much they have to offer this world 

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
Say “Yes” to everything that you think is a good opportunity in front of you and then get ready to  
work! And remember, no matter where you are in your career or knowledge-base, you always have something to bring to the conversation!

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing?
I would most likely be working at an NPO with Public Health. I love science, policy and how these organizations help society by helping individuals. 

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
I don't like Chocolate!

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?
This is a very tough question! I’m passionate about many different trends and issues. I think the three main topics I find myself thinking about the most each day are college access, college rankings, and the cost of higher education.

College Access: How are we supporting education for all people in America? Is there a way we can do it better? What are some good examples around the world and are they applicable to the United States System?

College Cost:  Cost and Access often go hand-in-hand. It takes a lot of money to keep a school going, but can we lower the cost without impacting the students’ experience? What should be a norm on campuses?

College Ranking: Are the rankings of schools hurting or helping our student? I have been asked to explain, “Why is your chemistry program good?” What does “good” mean, and how can we accurately measure programs so that information will be useful to students?

No comments:

Post a Comment