Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Profile: Lou Hirsh



Lou Hirsh
Retired
(Director of Admissions, University of Delaware)

How long have you been in admissions/college counseling?
I started in 1975, which I realize is well before many of PCACAC’s members arrived on this planet.

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?
Like most people, I stumbled into it.  In the 1970s I was working on a doctorate in 16th century British literature at Columbia University, but seeing that there were no teaching jobs in the humanities, I started exploring other things to do with my life.  I talked to directors of admission and discovered, among other things, that on both sides of the desk our profession is populated by people who are unusually compassionate, generous, and friendly.  What a great incentive to get involved!

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?
I used to volunteer as a marshal at Delaware’s Commencement.  One year, as I was ushering lines of graduates into their seats, I was startled when one of them pivoted around on his heels and blurted out, “Thanks, Mr. Hirsh, for taking a chance on me four years ago.”  I suddenly remembered that four years earlier he had interviewed with me to “plead his case” after we had waitlisted him.  It was on the strength of that interview that I had gone ahead and admitted him.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
One of the saddest developments of my lifetime is the cynicism that has permeated every aspect of our society.  In spite of that, NACAC and PCACAC remain organizations where people care about “doing the right thing.”   My advice is to get involved so that you can experience the pleasure and optimism that come from helping students and colleagues.

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing?
I’d have been a teacher.

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
After spending a lifetime working with college-age people, I now volunteer with my wife as a mentor at a local elementary school.  What a hoot working with 2nd and 3rd graders!

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?

My term as Chair of NACAC’s Admissions Practices Committee runs from October 2015-17. Prospective college students deserve ethical behavior.  They don’t always get it.  Because NACAC’s National and Affiliate Admissions Practices Committees defend students and colleagues against unprincipled practices, they are the conscience of our profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment