Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Meet a Member of PCACAC in College Admissions...

Joe Shields is an Admissions Counselor at Goucher College, located just north of Baltimore, Maryland.

What led you into admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!
I attended Loyola University Maryland as an undergrad, just down the road from Goucher, and I was very involved on campus. About half way through my time there I realized that the people who had the greatest impact on me weren’t the professors I’d see in the classroom, but the staff members who hired me as a student worker. They clearly cared about me as an individual and went out of their way to build strong community within their offices, and it was obvious they loved what they did for a living. Seeing that kind of work environment is what led me towards higher education and how I ultimately ended up in admissions. Not many work environments have the kind of community or camaraderie that is found on a college campus. 

What do you love most about your job?
I love sitting down with students one-on-one and listening to everything they’re excited to accomplish. Being the first ones that students see on campus, admissions counselors are able to take that excitement and help students begin to connect the dots between their passions and a college education. The goals and passions of the generation entering college today can be incredibly creative.

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing? 
After having attended college in Baltimore and then having lived in the city for a couple years, I absolutely love Baltimore. Goucher’s location is actually one of my favorite things to discuss with students because of all the options they have in front of them in Baltimore. I could easily see a career for myself at a non-profit within the city or a local community-based organization. Baltimore is a welcoming city filled with the nicest people you’ll ever meet, and I’d love to support that community.

What advice would you give to someone considering entering the admissions/college counseling profession?
Network. It is amazing how helpful it can be in the admissions or college counseling world to have connections and build relationships with professionals in our field. Networking benefits the students we serve, it can help to guide a career path, and at the end of the day you’ll be more skilled at what you do.



No comments:

Post a Comment