Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Check Out This Week's Member Spotlight!

Gerard Jeremy Hart currently works at St. Paul’s School for Boys in Brooklandville, MD.  Among his many duties, he is a college counselor, he teaches two sections of International Baccalaureate (IB) history, advises the Model UN club, manages an advisory, and coaches football, basketball, and lacrosse. 

What led you into admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!
I just happened into the college counseling world by a bit of good luck.  I met the St. Paul’s School Upper School Head at a hiring fair while looking for a teaching job.  The Head thought that college counseling fit a number of aspects of my career goals then connected me to Jake Talmage.  Despite originally not even thinking about pursuing college counseling jobs, Jake’s passion for the whole process and the way he talked about the role counselors can have in student’s lives really touched on some of my biggest passions.  Long story short, I’ve been hooked on college counseling ever since.

What do you love most about your job?
The best part of my job is getting to know students in so many different arenas and then getting to help them find their next home to continue their education.  In particular, I can think of one student that I coached, taught, and college counseled.  Knowing him as a student, as an athlete, and as a young man, I felt like I could significantly better advise him in the college process.  I knew that he wouldn’t do well in large lecture halls, but also knew he wanted to follow his passion for lacrosse.  While he was enamored with the large, selective, and very talented lacrosse school, helping him investigate new universities and counseling his process over the course of his junior and senior years was really enjoyable.  Ultimately, having this student receive an offer of admission to his newly discovered number one school (and have a chance to play there too) made all the late night worried e-mails from his parents, random and frequent hallway questions, and time spent helping with applications entirely worth it.

How do you balance work/life?
As many of us in the college counseling and admissions world know, there are so many commitments beyond the typical 9am-5pm workday and making sure to reserve time for your personal life is really important.  On a daily basis, I make sure I keep the first hour and a half after my daily commitments end free of checking e-mails and to just catch my breath.  In terms of the longer term, I keep a small planner on me at all times to keep a clear schedule of both my professional and personal commitments in order.  If I start to notice the work commitments piling up, I make sure to schedule some free time (as ironic as that sounds) or block off time to watch my football teams on weekends in the fall to tip the scales back during counseling and recommendations season.

What advice would you give to someone considering entering the admissions/college counseling profession?
The biggest piece of advice I would give to someone considering entering the admissions/ college counseling profession would be to realize the entire business is not a black-and-white world. Some people on the outside might think admissions as a binary process- you’re accepted or denied- but there are so many levels.  Whether it’s certain schools placing more emphasis on certain attributes or others holding a firm line of test scores and GPA or even a hundred point holistic review, learning the landscape from school to school takes time.  The more I learn, the more I realize I don’t know.  So piece of advice two, take advantage of colleagues in the field.  No matter the side of the process they might be on, we’re ultimately all in it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment