Monday, May 1, 2017

This week's Member Spotlight is on Fatmata Koroma

Fatmata Koroma works at the University of Pittsburgh as an Enrollment Service Manager, and serves as the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia Regional Recruiter.

What led you into admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!
My admissions counselor at the University of Pittsburgh in 2007 was Robert Wilson. Rob made my decision to go to Pitt a no brainer because of his attention, kindness and guidance. Though, I cannot remember everything that Rob said to assist me through my college search process, I can certainly tell you that he made sure I felt appreciated, understood, and empowered throughout the journey. I was fortunate to grow and learn through my experience, and I believed that if I could give an ounce of that knowledge back to the students who followed after me, I would feel fulfilled. So when the opportunity presented itself to introduce students in my hometown in Maryland to Pitt, and assist them in navigating the college search process, I could not pass it up! As a salute to all those that helped me along the way, it is my mission to leave the “Rob effect” wherever I go, ensuring my students and families feel appreciated, understood, and empowered throughout their admissions process.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory or travel story?
As a regional recruiter, I am not always able to be a part of my students’ experiences on campus. However, I remember attending one of my first spring open houses for admitted students on campus. The energy was electrifying! I interacted with students I met previously during fall high school visits, and I was introduced to the parents and support systems of the familiar faces I had helped along the way. One memory that truly stands out to me, was when I gave one of my students their admissions decision on the balcony of our Ballroom. You could hear our cheers echo throughout the halls of the ballroom as I told Rebecca she was admitted to Pitt! It was so special to see her journey come full circle, from interest, to inquiry, and finally, to admission. Before leaving Pitt that day, Rebecca submitted her tuition deposit, and I was able to welcome the newest member of the Pitt family with a huge Panther hug!

What do you love most about your job?
I love that what I do for a living allows students to feel confident in their academic pursuits. I love that I get to meet new creative and talented students each year, and introduce them to a world of possibilities. I feel that I have an opportunity to help students make one of the biggest decisions of their young adult lives. I take that responsibility very seriously, using my engagement with each student as a chance to relieve their stress, motivate them to take charge of the admissions process, and equip them with the tools to help them find the best fit college or next step. Empowering students has been the most rewarding part of my role. Working for my beloved alma mater, that is truly the icing on the cake!

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
If you are interested in building a career in higher education and being a great steward to your students and families, I believe it is important to understand their concerns. PCACAC has helped me understand what my students are experiencing– what’s causing them anxiety, stress, or fear. The wonderful thing about membership in PCACAC and NACAC is the open and honest dialogue between college admissions counselors and school counselors. Through these discussions, we are able to develop an understanding of challenges, trends, and weaknesses in the admissions system. By realizing these factors, I am able to better serve my students, presenting thoughtful information at the right time, to the correct audiences. Furthermore, these discussions allow us to develop actionable solutions as a group, both on the high school and college sides.

How do you balance work/life?

After completing an entire admissions cycle, I have learned that the regional recruiter position requires long days and weeks during certain times of the year. There is a fine line between work and personal life balance when any room with Wi-Fi connectivity can become your office as a recruiter on the road. So, it has been beneficial for me to incorporate time to decompress and regroup during, and between, my travel. Replacing a radio station with an inspiring lecture to keep me going, filing away thank you notes from families to read during tough weeks, finding local green spaces to visit when I am in new areas, or making time on a free weekend to work on an art project are all ways that I have been able to unwind. Making time for myself allows me to show up and give my 110% to every family that I meet. Seeking guidance from seasoned recruiters and caring counselors has also been a huge help. Self-care is not something I have perfected, however, I am steadily getting closer and closer to a comfortable work life balance with these helpful adjustments in my routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment