Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Check out this week's PCACAC Member Spotlight on Mollyemma Teague!

Mollyemma Teague is an admission counselor and the alumnae admission engagement liaison at Hollins University in Roanoke, VA.


What led you into admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!
I was lucky enough to be employed as a student worker in our Office of Admission while I was an undergraduate student at Hollins, which gave me a taste for the work we do and the impact we can have on the lives of high school students. While in college, I worked as the Assistant Residential Director of Duke Youth Programs, and learned that I had a passion for youth development. While I had this passion for youth development, it didn’t necessarily translate in passion to residential experiences. I was more interested in learning the stories of our students, what inspired them educationally, and what their goals were academically. This made for an easy transition into the field of admissions work.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory or travel story?
It’s so hard to choose just one! One of my favorite experiences was participating in the 2016 Memphis Case Studies. Getting to work with high school counselors, admission counselors from other universities, and current high school students to assess applications was a really eye opening experience for me. I love learning about the processes of other universities, and what students are focusing on as they go through the college search process.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
Don’t be afraid to dive in head first! When I first began my professional development journey, I truly just raised my hand and offered to help wherever I was needed. I made my intentions and desires to be involved known to my director as well as other counselors that I have professional relationships with so that as opportunities arose that were good fits for me, I had people who could advocate for me and help get me connected.

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing? 
I have always loved poetry and writing. I could see myself being an English professor, but it would not carry the same weight and reward for me as working in admissions or college counseling. I have definitely found my niche!

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
I am classically trained in both piano and cello, having played both instruments for over 15 years.

How do you balance work/life?
I am dedicated to self-care on the mental, physical, and emotional levels. I know I do my best when I feel my best, and that includes spending time with family, nature, and live music! I make sure to work efficiently when I’m in the office to stay on top of, if not ahead of, my to do list so I can truly relax during time off.

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?
I am really interested in public charter college preparatory schools. I’ve recently had some really exciting conversations with college readiness advisors at public charter schools in major urban areas about the ways they promote college readiness to their students starting as early as 9th grade. As someone who spends a good two thirds of her year reading applications, I am always interested to learn how students prepare to put their best foot forward.

What advice would you give to someone considering entering the admissions/college counseling profession?

Be willing to be a yes person. Say yes to opportunities in professional development, say yes to small task requests like tours or birthday cards, and say yes to learning new things. The more you learn, the higher the quality of your work and interactions, and the better you can serve your students and work efficiently as part of a team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment