Friday, January 8, 2016

Profile: Mike Johnson



Mike Johnson
School Counselor
West Potomac High School (Alexandria, VA)

How long have you been in admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!  

I’ve been a high school counselor for 9 years, beginning at Thomas Dale High School in Chesterfield County (VA). I also counseled two years at Warren County High School in beautiful Front Royal (VA), and have been at West Potomac High School in Alexandria (VA) for the past three years. My formal education has all been within PCACAC territory – Western Albemarle H.S. in Crozet (VA), JMU for undergrad, and VCU for my M.Ed.  I am a career switcher, having also served in the federal courts for 14 years as both a judge’s courtroom clerk and in IT.  Although the courts and the schools are in many ways almost polar opposites of one another, I love both professions!

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?  

I owe much of the joy and fulfillment that I get from college counseling to Evelyn White, my director at Thomas Dale. During the first week of school she strongly encouraged me to sign up for the Blue Ridge Mountain College Tour.  I did, I went, and I was immediately hooked in the college counseling part of my profession – it remains far and away the most favorite part of my job as a high school counselor!  I have been a member of PCACAC ever since that tour.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?  

Wow, there are several… okay, a LOT!  These memories tend to come back to one common theme though – witnessing the hard work of some amazing teenagers during their high school years pay off in big ways, whether it be admission to the college of their dreams, scholarship offers, or both.  The fall after my first year of counseling at Thomas Dale I was at a football game at UVA and saw one of my former students playing in the band. When he saw me he pointed at me and exclaimed to his friends, “That’s my high school counselor – the person who got me into UVA!”  Although humbled by his gratitude, I reminded him that his four years of hard work and effort got him there – I just helped with the sales pitch!  He is now finishing up medical school.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?  

Do it. There are opportunities abound to serve our profession and have a good time doing it in PCACAC. The networking with colleagues from both sides of the desk is invaluable, and really a must to do our jobs well on behalf of our students and applicants. Don’t know where to get started? Reach out to anyone you see on the website or to any colleague you know who is part of PCACAC, and you’ll be on your way!

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing? 

I work on the high school side, and have long had a strong interest in pursuing a switch to the college side of the desk.  Any time I’m in a college environment, my inner voice tells me, “This is where you belong!”.  One day, perhaps!  Having grown up in a family in which my stepfather’s profession was with an educational travel company, I am also drawn to that field.

What's one thing that most people don't know about you? 

My ‘moonlighting’ job for three years was as a member of the grounds crew for the Washington Nationals. Like a lot of kids growing up playing Little League baseball, I dreamed of making it to ‘The Show’.  Well, pounding and picking up clay from the pitcher’s mound wasn’t exactly what I had in mind as a 10 year old, but it was still a thrill to be on the field before, during, and after games – especially the year they made the playoffs.  One pre-game when preparing the mound I took a pause, looked around at the crowd filling the stands, stood on the rubber, and stared down at home plate.  I was embarrassed when I noticed the assistant head groundskeeper saw that brief moment – but he just laughed and said, “Mike, I do that all the time!”


What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?  

There are so many trending issues that we are faced with on both sides of the desk. I’m still kind of a technology nerd, and get that from my job at the federal court, where our Clerk made it a point to keep us on ‘the edge’ of technology.  Thinking of, developing, and working with technology that makes processes more efficient and accurate are keen interests of mine – I’ve been the unofficial ‘tech person’ in each school in which I’ve worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment