Thursday, January 14, 2016

Profile: Kathleen Voss


Kathleen Voss
Regional Director
Office of Undergraduate Admission
Georgia Institute of Technology

How long have you been in admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!
23 years. I started in admissions at Regis College in Weston, MA in 1993.  Working at Regis, which at that time was a small women’s college, gave me the opportunity to wear many hats.  If you want to know what hard work is…work at a women’s college!  My experience at Regis provided me with the fundamentals of college admission, as well as discovering the importance of mentorship, both giving and receiving. 

After leaving Regis as the Associate Director in 1998, I ventured out into the corporate world… banking no less. I worked at Fleet Boston Student Loans until getting married in 2001.   It was an incredible, beneficial experience, albeit cut throat and stress inducing.

In 2002, we moved to Virginia and Bill Bissett was kind enough (considering I was 7 months pregnant) to hire me as a Regional Rep for Manhattan College in New York City. Manhattan College was one of the first schools to use regionals in the area.  Bill had found success with the program in New England and saw the potential in the mid-Atlantic.  Manhattan College offered me the opportunity to join PCACAC and meet many of you.

I have been with Georgia Tech since August of 2013, and can honestly say that I have never been happier.  I feel as though I have come full circle, starting at a school that admitted 250 women in 1993, to a school that reviews over 30,000 applications in a year!  I learn something new every day… it’s like I am a rookie again and I love it.


How did you get started in college counseling/admissions? 
My dad, Chris Kiernan, worked in admissions for many years at Assumption College in Massachusetts, Saint Joe’s in Maine and finally at Salve Regina University in Newport, RI.  I grew up on college campuses, stuffing search pieces and licking envelopes over the summers in my dad’s office.  It sort of just fit.  I may be the only person in the field who actually planned to get into admissions as a career.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?
Watching Josette Auguste from West Roxbury High School graduate from Regis College in the mid 90’s.  She was a brilliant kid and a beautiful person with a dream of becoming a doctor. She was a member of the first class that I recruited.  We had worked together during the admissions process and then while she was a student tour guide and ambassador.  When she and others from that class graduated, I felt as though I had really accomplished something special.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
Go for it!  Your perspective is important and ideas are needed.

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing?  Radio City… Kick Line…Rockettes!

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
I used to DJ at clubs in Newport RI.

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?
Assisting Military and Veteran students in the enrollment process. As the wife of a veteran, I consider myself honored to have had the opportunity to counsel vets, their children and spouses, however, I was overwhelmed by the bureaucracy.  Continuing to streamline the process for this population, as well as educating admission’s professionals about the policies on their campus or in their states will help to provide access to our nation’s servicemen and women.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing.
    ivywise

    ReplyDelete