Monday, January 11, 2016

Profile: Mandy Williams



Mandy Williams
Program Coordinator for Regional Recruitment
Virginia and Washington, DC
Office of Admissions, Undergraduate 
West Virginia University (WV)


How long have you been in admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story! 
I have worked as a college admissions counselor for 13 years.

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions? 
After I graduated from WVU, I was working in the hospitality industry at a resort in Morgantown. After realizing the hospitality industry was not what I wanted to do, I started searching WVU’s web site and found a job description for an admissions counselor. It sounded like me, and I had such a great experience there as a student, I thought I would give it a shot. Thirteen years later, I still love sharing my experiences and knowledge about higher education in general, and specifically about WVU, with prospective students and families.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory? 
I recently had an upperclassman contact me and thank me for my help during the admissions process. He is a senior in our Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources and is getting ready to graduate. He mentioned that I was one of the first contacts he had with WVU and how happy he has been with his decision. It was so wonderful and rewarding to hear from a current student who is both happy and successful.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
I would recommend getting involved with both organizations—volunteering or serving on committees, attending the annual conferences, and making connections with current leadership within the organizations.

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing?
I really enjoy working as a college admissions counselor, but if I had to make a change, I would try school counseling at the secondary level or do a 180 and pursue a career in travel and tourism.

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
I was a Girl Scout and loved being involved in every part of the organization.


What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why? 
Services and college awareness geared toward first-generation college students, especially in rural areas. I am a first-generation college student, and I know how challenging and overwhelming attending college can be without support. Also, my experiences recruiting in rural parts of both West Virginia and Virginia have shown me how much college awareness is still needed with this particular student population.

No comments:

Post a Comment