Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Profile: Steve Maczynski



Stephen 'Steve' Maczynski
Director of College Counseling Services
Commonwealth Academy (Alexandria, VA)

How long have you been in admissions/college counseling? Share your journey story!
I evolved from the teaching profession into college counseling. I had written so many recommendations since I taught AP US Government that my interest grew in the field.  I began actually working as a College Counselor twenty years ago.

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?
I worked as an AP instructor.  I slowly evolved into a hybrid-position at Georgetown Prep in North Bethesda as a counselor/teacher.  It was great to learn from wonderful mentors who had a long history in the profession. Membership in NACAC and PCACAC put me in touch with incredible resources so that I could adapt to a fast-paced job-setting.  Eventually, I also pursued my licenses as a therapist in both Virginia and Maryland.  Since I was constantly asking adolescents about their identities and their direction in life, I needed to be equipped in handling emotional difficulties.  This also helped with family interactions.  I spent a short time working as Director of Counseling Services as Westfield High School in New Jersey.  I commuted during the week, and I established a private practice in Virginia that works with middle school and adolescents on emotional health.  Now I work as Director of Counseling at Commonwealth Academy in Alexandria while still maintaining my practice.

What's your favorite admissions/counseling memory?
My favorite counseling memory was watching an inner-city student who was largely abandoned by both parents- mom had a drug addiction and dad was absent- gain acceptance to Brown University.  It showed me that admissions can truly work the way that it is supposed to when a student works hard and believes in his dreams.  He gained that acceptance through diligence and perseverance.

What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue leadership (or membership) in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
I have served on committees in PCACAC that have put together seminar presentations.  PCACAC is invaluable for renewing one's vision about the profession, especially when one gets depleted from helicopter parenting.  

If not working in admissions/college counseling, what else could you see yourself pursuing? 
When not working in college admissions, I am active in my private practice. Project SAFE- Strategies Aimed at Family Empowerment- is located on South Washington Street in Alexandria, Virginia.

What's one thing that most people don't know about you?
Most people do not know that I initially worked in the stock market after graduating from Georgetown University. It was a hectic time to work in that arena because there were lots of mergers and acquisitions.  Everyday was a roller coaster.

What's a current trend or future issue you're passionate about right now? And why?

I am passionate about the high cost off post-secondary education. It is having a negative effect on educational opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment