Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Profile: Julia Ross



Julia Ross
Professional Tutoring, LLC (Fairfax, VA)

Have long have you been in the college counseling/admissions profession?
21 years, since 1994 when I founded Professional Tutoring, LLC

How did you get started in college counseling/admissions?
Once I started working with students in tutoring and SAT/ACT preparation, I saw a need to help students really evaluate themselves and search for their college fit.  At Professional Tutoring, we work to help students and families understand that college admissions officers are advocates for students, that they want to admit and retain students and do not act as gatekeepers!!

What advice would you give someone looking to pursue leadership in PCACAC and/or NACAC?
I would definitely advise that new members get involved in everything college admissions.  Visit colleges, attend admissions seminars and tours, sit in on classes, particularly the freshman seminar, get to know admissions officers, join and attend as many NACAC and AACRAO conferences as possible.  Research, study and learn.  And, be open to new ways of learning, leading, interacting. 

What is your favorite admissions/counseling memory?
One of my favorite memories is receiving a call on April 30 from a senior named Brandon.  We had been working with Brandon since July.  Brandon was stubbornly trying to fit his round peg into a square college hole.  All year long, we had said, “please, please, please visit this college.”  He just would not budge.  So, on April 29, Brandon finally visited “our” choice college.  He called us on April 30 to say, “Mrs. Ross, I LOVE Ole Miss!  Why didn’t I know that I would like it so much?”  Brandon is a senior this year, majoring in business.  He is a leader on campus, president of his fraternity, Sigma Pi, and headed to a bright future.   

If not working in admissions/counseling, what else would you see yourself pursuing?
Before beginning in the education field, I worked in urban planning for the Federal Government.  I graduated from UVA with my Masters of Urban Planning in May and launched Professional Tutoring that September.  I cannot imagine not working with young people; if I had to choose another profession, I would return to the dynamic world of urban planning.

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?
This is a loaded question!  Seriously, though, our family is dedicated to international causes and children.  Between us, we speak six languages and speak Spanish and English at home.  We have also hosted 26 foster children, medical exchange and exchange students since 1994. 

What’s a current trend or future issue you’re passionate about right now?  And why?
I am really interested in the changing landscape of affirmative action.  I think that we, as admissions professionals, need to be able to support students on their socio-economic circumstances and opportunities, or lack thereof, rather than on their race, religion, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment